Found a huge round-about near my (current) house today. About 1 km away on the top of the hill. Completely empty in the evening (besides some lonely joggers) as there are only ministries around. Each full circle about 1 km, I estimate.
Off course not an ideal spot, but for my hill in Kigali - quite a great spot!!!
Anyways- jogged up the hill, then 3 rounds and wanted to run back as suddenly these 2 boys turned up. One about 12 years, the other maybe 8. No street kids, for sure, but from a simple local family, I guess. They started to run next to me. Just like that. Not bothering me, but right on my side. First I got a bit anoyed and started to run faster. Of course they copied and we started to play around a little changing the speed. After a while I gave up to get rid of them, but jogged along and did not care... actually enjoying their company more and more every minute.
After a little while I decided to share my IPod music with the older one, who was next to me. Heard Mr. Jones from the Counting Crows which is since a few days my favorite jogging song...
So we jogged along. Without words. Just listening to the music. Happily. Only making sure once in a while that the other is ok. "Sawa?" "Sawa!" (That's one of the very few word in Kinyarwanda I know so far. Means "Are you/Is that ok?" as well as "Everything ok").
I ran downhill with them, way past my house ... and when I decided after a while that it was time for me to run back home as it got dark, I stopped, said "A demain" and ran back.
I am not sure if they understand french. But I guess I would be happy to see them again tomorrow...
And I guess I never jogged with a bigger smile on my face - ever! :-)
Mittwoch, 16. September 2009
Abonnieren
Kommentare zum Post (Atom)
1 Kommentar:
Ca va and sawa means the same then? Beautiful blog, i'm now a follower and automatically get updates on my blog! Actually mr. jones is my flight song, it always calms me down, love that song. Miss you!
Kommentar veröffentlichen